New York Times and USA TODAY bestseller Laura Kaye is the author of over thirty-five books in romantic suspense and contemporary and erotic romance and has sold more than one million books in the U.S. alone. Among her many awards, she won the RT Book Reviews Reviewers’ Choice Award for Best Romantic Suspense of 2014 for Hard As You Can. A former college history professor, Laura grew up amid family lore involving angels, ghosts, and evil-eye curses, cementing her life-long fascination with storytelling and the supernatural. Laura lives in Maryland with her husband and two daughters, appreciates her view of the Chesapeake Bay every day.
Laura also writes historical fiction under the name Laura Kamoie, also a Wall Street Journal, New York Times, and USA Today bestseller.
Laura is a member of the Romance Writers of America, the Maryland Romance Writers, the Washington Romance Writers, and she is past president of the RWA-Contemporary Romance Writers.
For rights, media, or other inquiries, please contact Kevan Lyon of the Marsal Lyon Literary Agency – kevanATmarshallyonliteraryagencyDOTcom
For publicity inquiries, please contact KP Simmon at InkSlinger PR – kpsimmonATinkslingerprDOTcom
- January 29, 2019: Fighting the Fire (Warrior Fight Club #3)
- March 12, 2019: Worth Fighting For (Warrior Fight Club #3.5)
- TBA 2019: Switching for Her (Blasphemy #6)
- Fall 2019: Ribbons of Scarlet (as Laura Kamoie)
Yes! Laura’s Reader Girls is a Facebook group – join here!
Check out my Events page for the latest on all my scheduled signings and appearances. I try to select events in a variety of areas because I love having the opportunity to meet you guys! But some of my travel is dictated by where my publishers send me, too. I hope to make it to your area soon!
I am happy to work out arrangements to sell you a signed copy of any of my paperback books. The usual process is for me to invoice you through PayPal for the retail cover price of the book plus shipping. If that interests you, please contact me through my Contact page. Shipment/delivery could take 4-8 weeks depending on my deadlines.
I am happy to send you a bookmark or swag for free. Book clubs, bookstores, or international readers requesting bulk amounts of bookmark or swags will be asked to pay for the shipping and will be invoiced via PayPal. If you’re interested in either, please contact me through my Contact page. Shipment/delivery could take 4 weeks depending on my deadlines.
Unfortunately, my deadline and release schedule prevent me from having the time to do this for you. I highly recommend you find a local or online writers’ group that offers critique groups or critique partners. I’ve found joining the Romance Writers of America (RWA), my local Maryland RWA chapter, and various online RWA chapters absolutely invaluable. Savvy Authors is an online community open to writers of multiple genres and they’ve been great, too.
I love to be able to do this, but I am very selective in what books I agree to read for cover quotes mostly because my schedule is so tight that I don’t have a lot of time to read. If your book is outside the genres in which I write or your publisher typically doesn’t make use of quotes in any substantive way (i.e., on the cover or on a front, inside page), I will probably not agree to read. Otherwise you are welcome to contact my agent, Kevan Lyon at Marsal Lyon Literary, to facilitate.
I started writing in 2008 after a traumatic brain injury left me with a new and very strong creative urge. My first book to be published was Hearts in Darkness, which originally released on April 20, 2011.
I am a full-time writer and, when on deadline, I write at least five days a week, 8-14+ hours/day depending on how tight my schedule is. My usual goal is 3,000 words a day but I have written many more when I need to, and I tend to write more slowly at the beginning of a book and faster during the last half. Even when I was still working a full-time job, I made it a goal to write five days a week. Generally, I don’t plot or outline my books, although I will occasionally sketch out what needs to happen in upcoming chapters, but I’m talking about back of a napkin kind of sketching! Since I wrote Her Forbidden Hero in the spring of 2012, I have picked one song for each book and listened to it on repeat the entire time I’m writing a book. Here are the songs I’ve used:
- Hard As It Gets – Breaking the Habit, Linkin Park
- Hard As You Can – Revelry, Kings of Leon
- Hard to Hold On To – Again, Lenny Kravitz
- Hard to Come By – Blurry, Puddle of Mudd
- Hard to Be Good – Latch, Sam Smith
- Hard to Let Go – Numb, Linkin Park
- Hard As Steel – Use Somebody, Kings of Leon
- Hard Ever After – Breaking the Habit, Linkin Park
- Hard to Serve – Too Close, Alex Clare
- Bound to Submit – Never Forget You, Zara Larsson
- Mastering Her Senses – Love Me Now, John Legend
- Eyes on You – Chains (Just a Gent Remix), Nick Jonas
- Ride Hard – Skeletons, Papa Roach
- Ride Rough – Love Me til it Hurts, Papa Roach
- Ride Wild – Remember We Die, Gemini Syndrome
- Ride Dirty – War Over Me, Papa Roach
- Fighting for Everything – Falling Apart, Papa Roach
- Fighting for What's His – Heavydirtysoul, twenty one pilots
- Love in the Light – She is Love, Parachute
- Her Forbidden Hero – Your Love is a Song, Switchfoot
- One Night with a Hero – Yellow, Coldplay
- Dare to Resist – Crash into Me, Dave Matthews Band
- South of Surrender – Wide Awake, Katy Perry
- East of Ecstasy – Somewhere I Belong, Linkin Park
These are huge questions! LOL And totally dependent on 1) what you write and 2) what your goals as an author are. The good news is that there are MANY very good books on the entire craft of writing, on how to find an agent, and on publishers and how to get published.
- BICHOK – Butt In Chair, Hands On Keyboard. You can’t revise what you haven’t written and you can’t sell what you haven’t written. So write EVERY DAY. Yes, every day. Even if you only commit to an hour a day or even 100 words a day, you need to get in the habit of making forward progress. And never underestimate the amazing power of getting to write “The End” and proving to yourself you can finish a whole book.
- Read, read, read. One of the best ways to learn how to WRITE is to READ extensively in your genre. Find books you think do a great job at characters or worldbuilding or suspense or pacing and study them (just be sure that your application of those techniques in your own work is in your original words!).
- Treat it like a profession, by which I mean join the professional organizations, do the work consistently, study and hone your craft, and always present yourself professionally (on social media, on your website, and in only submitting or publishing your work when it’s in the absolute best shape it can be).
- Find a critique partner, preferably someone else who is professionally pursuing publication and not just a friend who will tell you it’s great! Because while it may be great, but everyone benefits from having other writers who know the craft and the genre give you feedback on your work. You can find critique partners through local and online writers groups.
- Don’t give up! At the beginning of your writing career, you will get a lot more nos and rejections than yeses and acceptances! Persevere and don’t give up! Every big name author you know experienced rejection at some point in their career.
I don’t typically give books away for free just because someone asks but I do give a ton of books away in my own giveaways and in giveaways through bloggers. Follow my Facebook page for lots and lots of opportunities to win books, gift cards, swag, and other fun things from me!
I try to contribute to as many giveaways and charity events as I can so I’m happy to consider yours, but please understand that sometimes my writing schedule or the number of other giveaway items I’ve already contributed might make it impossible to participate at that time. Feel free to contact me!
This is, without question, the single most frequently asked question I receive! And the answer is…Love in the Light is finally available!!!
Forever Freed was the first book I wrote and remains very special to me. These characters definitely still talk to me and I’ve always had at least one more story in mind. It’s possible someday I will come back and write the sequel, but for right now I have no immediate plans to do so.
Currently, I do not have plans to write anymore stories in this series.
Currently, I do not have plans to write anymore stories in this series.
The Hearts of the Anemoi series is complete and made up of four full-length books. I am not currently planning to write more in the series.
The Hard Ink series is complete and made up of four full-length and five long novellas. The titles and reading order are:
- Hard As It Gets (Nick and Becca)
- Hard As You Can (Shane and Sara)
- Hard to Hold On To (Easy and Jenna)
- Hard to Come By (Marz and Emilie)
- Hard to Be Good (Jeremy and Charlie)
- Hard to Let Go (Beckett and Kat)
- Hard As Steel (Ike and Jess) – Raven Riders crossover
- Hard Ever After (Becca and Nick wedding novella)
- Hard to Serve (Detective Kyler Vance and Mia) – Blasphemy crossover
I am considering writing a spin-off series about a Hard Ink security company - stay tuned in 2019!
The Raven Riders series books are all standalones, but the reading order is:
- Hard As Steel (Raven Riders #.5 / Hard Ink #4.5) (Ike and Jess)
- Ride Hard (Raven Riders #1) (Dare and Haven)
- Ride Rough (Raven Riders #2) (Maverick and Alexa)
- Ride Wild (Raven Riders #3) (Slider and Cora)
- Ride Dirty (Raven Riders #4) (Caine and Emma)
I won't rule out writing more stories in this series, and I know many readers are rooting for Phoenix and Jagger to get their own books, but I don't have immediate plans to write these at the moment. Stay tuned in 2019!
Yes! Six books in the Blasphemy series are available, and this one takes the erotic elements up to scorching hot! Here is the reading order:
- Hard to Serve (Kyler and Mia) – A Hard Ink/Blasphemy crossover
- Bound to Submit (Griffin and Kenna)
- Mastering Her Senses (Quinton and Cassia)
- Eyes on You (Wolf and Olivia)
- Theirs to Take (Jonathan, Cruz, and Hartley)
- On His Knees (Alex and Jamie)
- Switching for Her (currently delayed; stay tuned in late 2018)
The Hard Ink, Raven Riders, and Blasphemy series are all interconnected, but each series can be read without having read the others.
The Hard Ink series came first. The Raven Riders appear in several books of the Hard Ink series as allies of the Hard Ink team. In the Raven Riders series, the Hard Ink team members make appearances in each book. The last book of the Hard Ink series, Hard to Serve, introduced the exclusive Baltimore BDSM club, Blasphemy. There is a more limited amount of crossover between Blasphemy and the other two series, but occasionally characters do make cameo appearances in the world of the Blasphemy club. I think the best advice is just to read them all!
I would absolutely love for this to happen! *grins* But right now, no options have been sold on any of my books. Keep your fingers crossed for me that maybe someday this will happen because it would totally rock!
My publishers are actively trying to sell my books into foreign languages, but this isn’t something I have a lot of control over. Right now, I have the following books in the following languages:
- Both Heroes books – French, Polish, Turkish
- In the Service of the King – French
- Hard As It Gets, Hard As You Can – Bulgarian, French, Japanese
- Hard to Come By – Bulgarian, French
- Hard to Let Go – Bulgarian
- Hearts in Darkness Duet – German (Hearts in Darkness only), Turkish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Spanish
Laura Kaye cares about protecting your personal data. Please review my privacy and cookie policies located under the tabs of the same names on the linked page.
February 2017 How to Write Your Own Love Story
June 2016 Success Across Genres
March 2016 Learn the Little Known Story of Martha “Patsy” Jefferson – WTVR CBS6 Richmond Video
December 2014 Fifty Shades of Success
September 11, 2014 Bestseller, Great Cause
January 19, 2014 Annapolis Author Hits the Hard Road – Of Success
December 24, 2012 Getting Published an Open Book for Maryland Romance Writers
December 18, 2012 Naval Academy Professor has Second Career as Best-Selling Author
November 17, 2012 Author Laura Kaye Debuts on the New York Times Bestseller List
October 8, 2012 Local Women Redefine Careers as Coffee-Shop Novelist
October 5, 2012 Silver Linings & Wooden Stakes – Laura Kamoie ’92 juggles the U.S. Naval Academy and bestselling romance novels
October 1, 2012 Avon Romances Laura Kaye
• I have lawful grounds to do so, including to comply with my legal obligations;
• I am performing a contract with you for my services; and
• I have legitimate interests in using your Personal Data and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
1. Personal Data I collect via my website [laurakayeauthor.com] (the “Website”) Personal Data that you provide to me: I only collect Personal Data where you choose to interact with me on the Website in the following ways:
When you sign-up to receive free content, including eBooks, videos, and offers:
• Email address
• First name
• Last name
When you complete the contact form:
• Email address
• Any Personal Data which you provide to me in the free text box of the form
When you sign-up to subscribe to my blog feed:
• Email address
2. Use of your Personal Data
I will only use your Personal Data when the law allows me to. Most commonly, I use your Personal Data to:
• process and manage your use of our website;
• respond to your questions, comments and requests;
• where you have opted-in to receive marketing from us, deliver communications that are relevant to your preferences / may be of interest to you;
• improve my services and Website through analysis of information.
3. Sharing of your Personal Data
I take your privacy seriously and will not share your Personal Data with others, except as permitted by applicable law or as set out below: I share Personal Data as necessary with third parties who provide services or functions on my behalf and who require the information to provide those specific services to me. These third parties may include social media advertising platforms such as Facebook and Google Adwords for the purpose of custom audience generation and the development of targeting criteria for other audiences. Please note that I have appropriate data privacy safeguards in place with third parties with whom we share Personal Data as described above and who are providing services or functions on my behalf.
4. Keeping your Personal Data secure
I have implemented security policies and technical measures to safeguard the Personal Data I collect. I maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable law, including the GDPR, to safeguard Personal Data from accidental loss, destruction or damage and unauthorized access, use and disclosure.
5. Retention periods for use of your Personal Data
This Website and our services are aimed at adults, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Data relating to children aged under 15 years old. If you are under the age of 15, please do not provide us with any of your Personal Data, including your email address.
7. Access to and control over your Personal Data
You have legal rights under applicable law in relation to your Personal Data. You can ask the following questions, or take the following actions, at any time by contacting me via email [email@example.com]:
• see what Personal Data I hold about you (if any), including why I am holding it and who it could be disclosed to;
• ask me to change/correct your Personal Data;
• ask me to delete your Personal Data;
• object to the processing of your Personal Data;
• ask me to restrict the processing of your Personal Data; withdraw any consents you have given us to the processing of your Personal Data; and
• express any concerns you have about third parties’ use of your Personal Data.
8. Change of purpose
I will only use your Personal Data for the purposes for which I collected it, unless I reasonably consider that I need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to have an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact me. If I need to use your Personal Data for an unrelated purpose, I will notify you and I will explain the legal basis which allows me to do so.
9. Contact Me
My full details are:
Laura Kaye, Author
Email for Privacy Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
This page describes what information I gather, how I use it and why I sometimes need to store these cookies. I will also share how you can prevent these cookies from being stored, however this may downgrade or ‘break’ certain elements of the site's functionality.
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this).
Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of the site. Therefore it is recommended that you do not disable cookies.
The Cookies I Set
This site offers opt-in newsletter and email subscription services and cookies may be used to remember if you are already registered and whether to show certain notifications which might only be valid to subscribed/unsubscribed users.
When you submit data to through a form such as those found on contact pages or comment forms cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping me to understand how you use the site and ways that we can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so I can continue to produce engaging content.
For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
Third party analytics are used to track and measure usage of this site so that I can continue to produce engaging content. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site or pages you visit which helps me to understand how I can improve the site for you.
From time to time I test new features and make subtle changes to the way that the site is delivered. When I am still testing new features these cookies may be used to ensure that you receive a consistent experience while on the site while ensuring I understand which optimizations my users appreciate the most.
In some cases I may provide you with custom content based on what you tell me about yourself either directly or indirectly by linking a social media account. These types of cookies simply allow me to provide you with content that I feel may be of interest to you.
I also use social media buttons and/or plugins on this site that allow you to connect with your social network in various ways. For these to work the following social media sites including; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Pinterest, will set cookies through our site which may be used to enhance your profile on their site or contribute to the data they hold for various purposes outlined in their respective privacy policies.
Hopefully that has clarified things for you and as was previously mentioned if there is something that you aren’t sure whether you need or not it’s usually safer to leave cookies enabled in case it does interact with one of the features you use on my site. However if you are still looking for more information you can contact us through one of our preferred contact methods.
Photo Credit: Renee Hollingshead
*FTC Disclosure: Laura Kaye is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.